Sean Moffett joins Carol Roth in Studio on WGN720 Chicago “The Worst Proposal In The World”
Click on the grey play button above the picture of the chicken sandwich.
Click on the grey play button above the picture of the chicken sandwich.
To be THE MAN in sales you gotta ACT like a WOMAN.
Acting like a woman means you care about your client. You care deeply about them. So much so, that you are willing to tell them what no one else will. You must tell them the brutal truth. This is called communicating clearly.
I was speaking with a client of mine today and she was telling me how she didn’t close a real estate listing appointment.
She hated the client’s house. She said it was ugly, in poor repair, and smelled like wet dog. I asked, “did you tell them?” “NOOOOOOO!” she replied. “I didn’t want to offend them.” I said, “The only thing offensive about that is that you don’t care enough about them or their home sale for you to tell them why their home isn’t going to sell. That’s also the reason they didn’t hire you.”
I understand how hard it is to tell the brutal truth to people. Shit...I lie to myself all the time. But to be THE MAN you have to care deeply about the positive outcome for your client. Enough to tell them what no one else will. Acting like a woman is about telling that brutal truth with empathy, understanding, grace, pointed truth, and clear desire to help them solve the problem once it’s on the table.
1. Look them strait in the eye. This will give them the non verbal clues needed for them to know you are not hiding anything from them.
2. Be honest about how hard it is to tell them what you need to say. “I hate to be the one to say this to you because I know how much you love your home. But...your home smells like wet dog.”
3. Relate to them. “I know it’s hard to hear but this is going to stop your home from selling it.”
4. Give them hope. “I love dogs. You love dogs. A lot of people love dogs. This is easily looked after. We can make the animal friendliness of your home a real plus once the smell is gone.”
5. Provide a solution. “I will bring in a deodorizer, a carpet cleaner, a maid service, and I will have the walls painted with fresh paint and it will look after everything. Sound good?”
You have to call out the elephant in the room with huge levels of care. In fact, the reason you call these elephants out is because you care so much about your client and want to serve them in a way they never have been served before. Having the confidence to communicate clearly with care and courage is what acting like a woman is all about. It makes you THE MAN.
Have you ever done something you have NEVER done before?
Here I go...
I have developed a new SALES TRAINING PROGRAM and for a limited time I want YOU to TAKE IT for FREE! Coupon code WOW. Just click the link at the bottom of the blog.
WOW Factor Sales Success Training is my latest and most popular Sales Training/Education program and is WOW'ing (pardon the pun) audiences nation wide at $500/ticket.
+Udemy and I have partnered to create a custom online version of the program and I want you to be one of the first one's to take the course. ON ME.
The program launches May 1, 2013 and so this exclusive one time offer will end April 30, 2013. Simply follow the link below, go to "redeem coupon" type in WOW, and the course is my gift to you.
- Over 9 lectures and 2.5 hours of content!
- learn how to WOW clientele
- discover why the traditional sales model is wrong
- understand why the way sales currently happen is flawed and doesn’t work effectively
- gain insight as to why the WOW Factor Sales Success Model is scientifically proven to work and engages clients in a way they can never explain
- learn why inspiration, action, and results are the key to selling in the new economy
- unpack the steps of every sale and how they fit into the WOW Factor Sales Success process
- discover the 3 secrets to sales success
- Develop the skill which will increase your business by 30% today
- 32 page downloadable workbook
All I am asking of you is to take the program, leave a 5 star rating for me, and make some positive comments.
Thank you very much and please share this FREE OPPORTUNITY with anyone you think will benefit. Remember coupon code ends April 30.https://www.udemy.com/wow-factor-sales-success-training/
You have to wonder about those people who never seem to have an off day.
I was told today I was one of those people. I'm not.
Someone said to me today, "Sean...you're never down. You are never off. So many people look to you for inspiration and you're always there. How do you do it?"
It set me back on my heels. The truth is I'm not always up. I have many down days. I'm not the positive affirming guy in a suit with all the answers. I have given you the wrong impression and for that I am sorry. Frankly, I'm bipolar. I'm up and down like an emotional roller coaster. AND - owning my own business just makes it that much more difficult. The highs of my business are so high and the lows seems devastating. Couple that with my own emotion struggles and it is friggin brutal.
You struggle with this too. You have days that feel so high they are incredible and others where you can barely get out of bed. I get it. I understand. It's not glamourous, fun, or anything you want to talk about when people ask you "how's it going?"
What I have learned and I want you to know is being strategic in the highs and the lows is the best formula to counteract the "bipolar roller coaster". Whether your bipolarity is business based or mental health based.
Having a rock solid go to strategy will save you from the manic highs that keep your mind racing and have you taking on more than you can complete. It will also save you from the 27 storey crash that comes from in the down times.
Here are the 5 things I've learned to do:
1. Admit the state you're in. Up or down, you must be honest about where you are and how you are feeling about it. The key to strategizing is being honest about where your at.
2. Keep a journal of all of the things I am grateful for daily. This will allow you to focus in your highs and be reminded of what is great in your life when you're down.
3. Take time you quiet yourself when things are going "amazing". You must settle and calm yourself in the manic crazy times. You will feel like this is a waste but if you can settle your mind you will internalize more of the good that's happening and sustain your high feeling longer.
4. When you are down take the time you need. You beat yourself up about where you are and how horrible you are when you're down. I do too. This only drives me further down and it takes longer to recover. Take a break. 15 mins, an hour, a half day, a day, whatever it takes and do something else. Physical activity is best.
5. Read your journal to a confidant. When you are feeling down you must read your gratefulness journal and its good to read it to someone close to you. NOT YOUR SPOUSE. Someone removed from the situation who can listen and be there for you. It will remind you of what is good AND will remind you that there is someone who loves you.
The fact is I struggle big time keeping everything in check. In my business life and emotionally. The me you sometimes see is the veneered me. The me I have to present to get thru the day but the reality is I ride the bipolar roller coaster every day. You do too. What has helped me cope and stay in the game is focusing on strategy rather than riding the roller coaster. Riding the coaster has cost me so much and has literally almost cost me my life. If you feel like me I want you to promise me you will use the 5 steps I use and let me know how I can help you not only survive, but to thrive.
The acquisition of new business is the most important thing to any company.
In fact, it is so vital, if you do not cultivate new opportunities for your business you will quickly be out of business.
As a salesman and business owner, I spend a lot of time in the acquisition of new clients. It’s mission critical for my business.
I’m a sales trainer, speaker, and mentor. If I don’t find new clients to teach, audiences to share with, and professionals who want to take their businesses to higher levels...I’m dead.
I have developed a new way to sell which connects with buyers on a level every buyer wants to connect on. I’m on a mission to change the world of selling and I must gain as many new opportunities to serve that mission as I can. Daily. I use social media as the way to connect with all the prospects I could ever want to access. And I take massive action in the wooing, courting, building relationships, and winning clients to my side. I close regularly and often. It’s essential.
Today I learned a critical lesson that will appropriately shift my focus. I must always deliver after sales service with the level of intensity, wooing, courting, and relationship building I did before the sale was completed. And so must you.
You know this is right. It makes sense. But the knowledge of it and practice of it are two different things. There are lots of times you do everything in your power, and then some, to win a client. Good for you. If you don’t continue in the relationship, after the close, with the same passion and intensity you did when the deal was landed - your client feels it. They start questioning your intention. Your true desire to work for them. If they made the right decision to work with you.
Think about the last time you were sold something big. When the level of effort displayed for you after the sale was not equal to or greater than the level displayed prior to the sale, how did you feel? Let down? Ripped off? Pissed off? Disappointed? Exactly! And so do your clients. So do my clients. This is not acceptable.
Sales people are fighting to gain new clients and in the same breath complaining about how customer loyalty is dead and how clients only care about the price. Because as sales people we make them disloyal and only concerned about price. Show clients the same level of love after they say yes and you’ll find loyalty and a price won’t be the main event.
You know this is true because it has happened to you. I know it’s true because it happened to me. Today. And it’s hugely disappointing. I want to believe in my sales person/service provider. I want to believe in the vision they sold me. I want to believe in the picture they painted. I feel foolish when the actions behind their words don’t match. So do you. Your clients deserve more than that. So do mine.